The Field of Mars

At 9 hectares, this huge area of clean grass and gravel paths has witnessed much in its history. From inspections and parades of the Tsar’s armies to fairs and celebrations, it was known as Tsaritsyn Meadow. A bronze monument to Alexander Suvorov was erected in 1801 dedicated to the general’s campaign against Napolean. Depicted as the Roman god of war, Alexander is posed heroically protecting the Tsar’s crowns and tiara.

The Field of Mars is most famous as the memorial to the many 1917 Revolution supporters who died in the conflict, evident from the granite Monument to Revolutionary Fighters that stands in the middle. Neatly trimmed lilac bushes and flowers line the green space and the eternal flame establishes the memorial as a sacred place for the fallen.

During the Second World War it served as a food supply with its entire surface covered in vegetable plants to feed the besieged city. On the 6th of November 1957 an eternal flame was lit in the centre, the first of its kind in Russia. The flame was then spread to other memorials in St. Petersburg and also carried to Moscow for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier there.

Tour to st Petersburg