The Mikhailovsky Garden

Walking along the alleys of the park one can feel something true and genuine. This is the only city garden that preserved the stylistics of the authentic imperial garden. That is why it is the place where the annual holiday called the “Imperial Gardens of Russia” takes place.

The territory of modern Mikhailovsky garden had been part of Sweden’s hunting grounds before the foundation of St. Petersburg. Later it became part of the Summer Garden. Large-scale works on creation of the Mikhailovsky square and construction of the Mikhailovsky Palace began in 1817. The project of architect Carl Rossi included the reconfiguration of all the surrounding territory. Many famous architects, painters and gardeners took part in the development of the Summer Garden. The garden acquired a “landscape” character while the elements of a formal garden were saved. The English meadow was arranged in front of the northern façade of the palace. Carl Rossi designed a pavilion-quay at the place of the Golden Mansion. Today it is the Rossi Pavilion.

Rebuilt and reconfigured, garden received the name of the palace, the Mikhailovsky, in 1825. An elegant fence in Art Nouveau style was built upon the project of architect Alfred Parland between the Mikhailovsky Garden and the Mikhailovsky Cathedral. Along with the fence of the Summer Garden it is considered as one of the most beautiful in St. Petersburg. After the fence had been built the policemen were made responsible to ensure that people would not damage the wrought laces. Garden inspectors had to refill with oil the bushings of the gates with imperial monogram on it which opened to the square from the central alley of the Mikhailovsky Garden.

After the Mikhailovsky palace was made a museum of Alexander III (the Russian Museum) in 1898 the garden became public. However, there was a tablet at the entrance gates reading “Prohibited for dogs and soldiers”.

During World War II and blockade of Leningrad the territory of the garden was the place where many monuments were hidden. They were buried in the alleys and meadows of the park. The falling shells damaged many trees and made holes in the ground but the monuments were intact. Another reconstruction of the garden took place in 2002-2004. The features that were in Carlo Rossi’s project were again given to the park. The old trees had been hacked down and the new ones were planted. Tour to st Petersburg