The Stroganov Palace

The name of this nobleman, the owner of the palace located at the corner of the Moika River and Nevsky Avenue, is known to the entire world. But the name is associated not with this beautiful building but only with its cuisine. It was at Stroganov’s order that a chef invented the famous beef stroganoff. The Stroganov Palace is the only building at the Nevsky Avenue that hardly changed for all time of its existence, except for color of its walls.

Baron Sergey Stroganov built the 2-story house in 1742 and as early as in 1753 the house was being renovated under the direction of architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli. It should be noted that Rastrelli’s participation in the construction of a private house was a rare occurrence because he was the emperor’s architect. But for Stroganov’s family, who were close to the ruling Romanovs, an exception was made.

In order to maintain the palace, 600 people were employed: singers, musicians, dancers, actors, chefs, carpenters, oarsmen and more. The palace was repainted several times during the 19th century; light-lilac, brick-red, green and, finally, pink. The house of the Stroganovs was famous for its “open dinners”. Tables were set up in the courtyard and anyone could have dinner there. Poor citizens often took advantage of this generous offer.

All members of the Stroganov family left Russia after the Revolution of 1917. The building became a branch of the Hermitage Museum in 1925. It was handed over to the Russian Museum in 1988. Restoration work began in 1991 and later an official branch of the Russian Museum was opened here for display. Travel to st Petersburg